It is a whole different ball game.
So why, you ask, did my husband and I open our home to such a lifestyle?
- There are over 400,000 children in foster care as I am typing this.
- About 60,000 children are in foster care in CA (as of March, 2010)
- Around 209 children are in foster care in our own Humboldt County (2010)
- Because we have the space!
- Children need positive role models and Terry and I WANT to be that for these children
- We love children and the energy and chaos they create in a home ;)
- Because we feel responsible for our country's children- the future of our world
- We can afford it
- We have the extra time and love to give
- Life is short... spend it wisely!
- Because every child is innocent and deserves a fair chance.
- We have a lot to teach a child (children)
- Children keep us on our toes (a little more selfish, but true!)
- We are active, healthy, and able.
- The more we can take, the less children go without a forever family.
- They are all waiting, hoping, wishing... no matter how troubled and mad they seem.
I could go on and on...
This is why we stood strongly through the process to adopt Johnny.
This is also why we have decided to open our home to possible future foster placements. Both temporary and headed for adoption. These children need homes, families, and role models.
If you are interested in foster care or adoption... make that first call! Go to an orientation and research the options in your area.
Here is a link for foster parenting info in Humboldt County
Here is a link for info on foster parenting in California