Tuesday, August 30, 2011

ME time :)

I would say, when it comes to children, I am a pretty patient person.  For the most part, I keep my cool.  However, even the greatest of parents need a break from time to time.  Small trips, date nights, a lone shopping trip... it all gives us mothers and fathers a time to clear our minds, focus on a task, and re-energize.

In our situation, we decided it was best to take the first few months of having Johnny and not enlist a sitter, not drop him off with a friend, and really, not leave his side until he knew where his home was, who Mommy and Daddy were, and that yes, we will be here when he wakes up. We will make sure he is fed, and that he is cared for.  Luckily, my husband is great with kids, luckily he fell just as much in love with Johnny as I did, and luckily he knows when I need a break.  To this day we have not called for a sitter unless it's a close friend or family member that Johnny knows well.  It has been imperative that Terry and I read each other's signals and that we communicate clearly. So we can act when the other is ready for some alone time.

Taking a breather on the beach cleanses the soul

In my alone time, I like to take time to sit here at the computer and catch up with friends, check on all my pages (including this one... thank's for reading!!)  and of course shop  :).  I also love to get out of the house on my own (it's so weird to drive with no one in that car seat back there!!).  Thrift shops, the gym, grocery stores, and local attractions are all places that give me refuge when I am in need of some "Brandi time."

Anyway, the point is, don't feel bad if you need a break.  The best parents know when to step out and take a deep breath.  In the long run, it's extremely beneficial for the kiddos if we just take this time and can return to them brand new and re-energized.  In my case, ready to "fly" through the house, build a tall, tall tower with the blocks, draw a picture of the family, create art out of snack food, and sit and calmly cuddle for a fun movie with popcorn.

Taking breaks makes "the little things" more fun  :)
(Watermelon cut-outs)


1 comment:

  1. I completely agree! This Friday is a girl shopping day and it's the first time I've done it in so long. I do feel guilty, but I'll get over it!

    ReplyDelete