Monday, July 18, 2011

Lefty in the House!!!

As you may know, we are so lucky to be very close to finalizing our adoption.  Johnny came to us back in December 2010 and it has been such a thrilling ride to bond with him and become "Mommy" and "Daddy."  There have been many life changes in the past 7 months and Terry (my husband) and I have learned so much. There is one thing that has been difficult for me to get used to.  Our little guy is left handed (we're pretty sure).  Being a "righty," I have always been unaware of the challenges that left-handed people face.  Now, I think twice before I place Johnny's silverware on his plate, I have special scissors for him, and I place his crayons and markers on his left side where he can reach them.  Additionally, if he becomes upset and frustrated over a task that he's having trouble accomplishing, I'll often check his hands to see if maybe a quick switch would make things easier.  Often times, that method proves to be successful.

As a side note, I will never be caught placing something into Johnny's left hand.  It is up to him to choose which hand he is comfortable swinging a bat with, coloring with, and eating with.  A simple suggestion can get us past a frustrating time, but I want him to figure it out.  Recently I spoke to two women who mentioned they were hit with rulers when using their left hands in school.  I'm glad things have changed since then!!

"Clouds and Rain"  One of Johnny's many masterpieces

No comments:

Post a Comment